Here are the top 10 lessons learned from Sara’s Blakely’s journey from fax machine saleswoman to entrepreneurial superstar:
1) Fail Big – Sara’s beloved father followed Wayne Dyer’s guidance in teaching his children the power of failing big. Each day, her father would ask – “So, what did you fail at today.” And if there were no failures, Dad would be disappointed. Focusing on failing big allowed Sara to understand that failure is not an outcome, but involves a lack of trying — not stretching yourself far enough out of your comfort zone and attempting to be more than you were the day before. Failing big was a good thing.
2) Visualize it – Sara is a big fan of “visualizing” your big goal, in specific, concrete ways. She saw herself clearly on the Oprah TV show 15 years before it happened. She simply knew it would happen. She’d see in her mind’s eye sitting on the couch with Oprah having an exciting conversation, and wondered, “What are we talking about?” The rest was just “filling in the blanks” to get there.
Drawing: MUSIC and ART!
- 7.2Ac: Evaluate the effectiveness of an image or images to influence ideas, feelings, and behaviors of specific audiences.
- Reflect on Friday before you begin today! What are the two different MOTIFS that Kandinsky talked about? What about the three different STYLES? Don’t remember? That’s ok… they were challenging… talk about this with your neighbors – what was it about the use of shapes that helped define the MOTIF?
Reflection: Describe 3 things you found as SUCCESSES for today! DESCRIBE – NOT LIST!
Studio Art 360: Sculpture.
- 7.1P: Hypothesize ways in which art influences perception and understanding of human experiences.
- First 5 minutes of class. Set out your GOALS PAGE and the STICKY NOTE I gave you. Walk to the next set of desks would sit in at your desk… and then make a REAL COMMENT on the sculpture (or part of the sculpture) that is there. What are 2 things that are working as an interesting and compelling VISUAL IMAGE? What is ONE SUGGESTION you would offer to help make it a more successful image / sculpture? Repeat TWO MORE TIMES at TWO MORE SETS OF DESKS.
Reflection: Last 3 minutes…Read your classmates comments – write a BRIEF response to their comments.
AP Studio Art:
- 3.1Ad: Reflect on, re-engage, revise, and refine works of art or design considering relevant traditional and contemporary criteria as well as personal artistic vision.
- What makes these NEW and INNOVATIVE? Give yourself a 3 bullet point list for the works.
Reflection: You have been working ON YOUR OWN with NEW CONCENTRATION works – how have you felp these works have demonstrated your sense of GROWTH? THIS WEEK – ASSIGNMENT – YOU will address your two questions about the concentration AND make sure that BY MONDAY your website is up to speed with 1) Questions Answered with NEW works in mind and 2) Images are uploaded – Art and Fear images AND the Outsider Art Images. Lots to do – Edit and Make Professional!
Advanced Drawing: 50 Sheets of Paper!
- 6. Reflect: Learning to think and talk with others about an aspect of one’s work or working process, and learning to judge one’s own work and working process and the work of others.
- What have you been CHALLENGED with when it comes to this NEW APPROACH / CHALLENGE to a DRAWING? Two Comments.