Here are the top 10 lessons learned from Sara’s Blakely’s journey from fax machine saleswoman to entrepreneurial superstar:
5) Hire people you like and trust (even if they don’t know a great deal about what you need them to do). Sara hired a head of Product Development and a PR director who had been friends and supporters from the beginning. Neither knew anything about the functional areas they were hired to oversee, but Sara trusted they’d be fabulous at their new roles, and they were.
6) You don’t have to go in order. Sara’s passionate commitment to her new Spanx product was so fierce, she just tackled each task in the development and marketing journey as they came up, not necessarily in the best order for a smooth launch. She landed a Neiman Marcus deal involving placement of the product in seven stores, before figuring out how to mass produce “crotches” for the product. The Oprah show called to do a feature on her in a staff meeting in her “offices” before she had an office or a staff. She winged it, and it all went well.
Drawing: MUSIC and ART!
- 7.2Ac: Evaluate the effectiveness of an image or images to influence ideas, feelings, and behaviors of specific audiences.
- Reflect on YESTERDAY before you begin today! What are your OVERALL IDEAS that you hope to communicate? Write out the OVERALL FEELING of your song and how your SKETCHES are demonstrating that overall feeling.
Reflection:Biggest struggle / success for today? Write it out and the WHY!
Studio Art 360: Sculpture – WRAP IT UP!
- 2.2P: Explain how traditional and non-traditional materials may impact human health and the environment and demonstrate safe handling of materials, tools, and equipment.
- As you have been constructing your sculpture, what has been the 1 biggest success you have felt throughout the process?
Reflection: What is ONE thing you can use that Artist Habit of Mind to do to help you further develop your skills? PAGE 30.
AP Studio Art:
- 1.1 Ad: Visualize and hypothesize to generate plans for ideas and directions for creating art and design that can affect social change.
- Talk to your classmates about the IMPORTANT TOPICS you have in your head and how that can become part of the larger body of your works. Write out 3 ideas you HEARD FORM OTHERS.
Reflection: Well… what are 3 things you came up with that you might use in the ideas of your works?
Advanced Drawing: 50 Sheets of Paper!
- 4.2Ad: Critique, justify, and present choices in the process of analyzing, selecting, curating, and presenting artwork for a specific exhibit or event.
- What is ONE THING you need to ask about your work? What is ONE THING you are PLEASED with in the design / planning / making of your art?