#28: An idea is only as good as its execution. It is important that you master your medium. Poorly made work will either ruin a good idea or make the lamentable execution itself the subject. Overly finessed technique can mask a lack of content or can smother an image. At the same time, roughness and imprecision has its place in rendering. One can only gauge the need to throw technique away if one has first achieved the mastery of it. Kit White 101 Things I Learned in Art School
Art Foundations: SOCIAL COMMENTARY and COLLAGE!
- G: 1.2P: Shape an artistic investigation of an aspect of present-day life using a contemporary practice of art or design.
- A: What challenges do you think you will face as it comes to the idea of an INTERESTING collage?
- G: How do you feel your composition successfully uses the GOLDEN MEAN and imagery to explain the ideas of your social topic? EXPLAIN your answers.
Romare Bearden Foundation HERE.
Social Commentary SlideShow HERE.
Social Commentary Assignment HERE.
Introduction to Painting: Plein Air – I hope you dressed WARM TODAY!
- G: Develop Craft: Learning to use tools, materials, artistic conventions; and learning to care for tools, materials, and space.
- What kinds of challenges have you had in the making of art on the scale, speed, effort that you have in this experience?
- G: We’ve got a lot of artwork made this week… what kinds of thoughts have you had about the skills developed, learned, pushed, challenged?
- G: How do you enjoy / struggle with the new ideas that you took in today?
PLEIN AIR handmade sketchbook assignment is HERE
David Hockney’s Sketchbooks HERE.
Introduction to Digital Art:
- G: 3.1Ac: Engage in constructive critique with peers, then reflect on, re-engage, revise, and refine works of art and design in response to personal artistic vision.
- A: What do you feel about talking aloud when it comes to other’s works? What are your thoughts about why you may be apprehensive or confident when discussing other individual’s work?
- G: What were 3 things that you took away from today’s critique? Next time we are looking at PHOTOGRAPHS. If you have your own DSLR or Digital Camera (not a phone camera – although the images there are pretty good) you are welcome to bring it in. Let it be known… I do not have all the answers about cameras so… you will have to be doing a bit of problem solving on your own.