“The importance of an artist is to be determined by the number of new signs he introduces into the language of art.” —Henri Matisse, quoted in Matisse by Louis Aragon Art is a language of signs and symbols. To describe new conditions, new signs must be created or old symbols must be redeployed in ways that give them new meanings. Given that the world is constantly changing and that each new generation describes the world it sees in its own way, the symbol language of art must always be evolving. Language is influence. 101 Things to Learn in Art School Kit White © 2011 Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Kit White
Art Foundations: SOCIAL COMMENTARY and COLLAGE!
- G: 1.1P: Use multiple approaches to begin creative endeavors.
- A: Looking at the ROMARE BEARDEN collage on the screen, what do you think this work is about? WHY? Please work with your neighbor on answering this question.
- G: Explain why creating art that is CLEARLY NARRATIVE / Tells a story / explains something that is of importance to you is challenging? Explain 2 major points…
Max Ernst at MoMA. Images HERE.
Romare Bearden Foundation HERE.
Social Commentary SlideShow HERE.
Social Commentary Assignment HERE.
Introduction to Painting: Plein Air – I hope you dressed WARM TODAY!
- G: Develop Craft: Learning to use tools, materials, artistic conventions; and learning to care for tools, materials, and space.
- A: Landscapes and simplification of the space – far off space. Looking at the work of Paul Cezanne and the works of the Post-Impressionists – What simplification do we see in the work they have created? Be aware of the breaking up of the space and shapes into a simple fashion, but also consider the ideas of adding details and specific shapes.
- G: How do you enjoy / struggle with the new ideas that you took in today?
PLEIN AIR handmade sketchbook assignment is HERE
David Hockney’s Sketchbooks HERE.
Introduction to Digital Art: Corporate ID MID CRIT TODAY!
- 2.1Ac: Through experimentation, practice, and persistence, demonstrate acquisition of skills and knowledge in a chosen art form.
- A: This is the final day of working on this corporate id. I will be walking you through the END OF THE DAY ASSEMBLAGE by sharing with you a TEMPLATE for you to PLACE YOUR DOCUMENTS INTO. This will be through GOOGLE CLASSROOM and will require you to be paying attention. Use the next 50 minutes WISELY! I’m setting a timer and we are going to stick to it. We will be working in LAYERS and keeping EVERYTHING very organized so that I can see and explore the designs. https://www.online-stopwatch.com/
- G: WHY (in sentence form and a sticky note in order to leave the room) are you PLEASED with your design OR STILL STRUGGLING with the imagery and assemblage of the work?