Week 4: Composition is the foundation of image making. It is the spatial relationship between all of the parts in an image. Whether a drawing, a painting, a sculpture, a photograph, a video, or an installation, how a thing is composed determines its look, its feel, and its meaning. Compositional variation, like musical tunes, is limitless. 101 Things to Learn in Art School Kit White © 2011 Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Kit White
Art Foundations: Chiaroscuro in the studio today!
G: 2.1P: Engage in making a work of art or design without having a preconceived plan.
How do you draw something in 3 dimensions? What are different techniques you know? What did you do successfully yesterday that you can continue with today? What is it you need to erase, change, resolve to make the drawing today even more successful.
- Draw from the MIND
- Draw from observation
- DRAW using a lot of value, erasing for texture and emphasizing mark making / value.
- What is one thing you are putting into your drawing of the 3D Forms that might be related to the ELEMENTS and PRINCIPLES as the building blocks of Art – things you really need to be aware of AS you are making art.
- Let’s look at Page 6 in our handbook – SUCCESS in ART. Pencil and paper. Let’s REVIEW the HABITS of an Artist Page 18 in the Folder.
- Handouts on Value and Chiaroscuro.
- Spheres and Lighting – Use the paper / worksheet examples in class and TAKE YOUR TIME.
What is ONE thing you are CERTAIN you did successfully with your drawing today? What is ONE THING you are CERTAIN you need to focus on in order to create a more realistic / successfully accurate observation drawith tomorrow? Dennis Mogelgaard (Dennis Møgelgaard is a visual artist who was born in 1959.):
Introduction to Painting: COLLAGE! What are you doing to lead it to the PAINTING? NEW SEATING TODAY!
- 7.2Ac: Evaluate the effectiveness of an image or images to influence ideas, feelings, and behaviors of specific audiences.
- 2.1Ac: Through experimentation, practice, and persistence, demonstrate acquisition of skills and knowledge in a chosen art form.
How do you feel that working with WATERCOLORS might take you to the next larger watercolor painting?
Biggest accomplishment with the watercolor today? how have you seen GROWTH as an artist so far? What is the story you are telling with your work? What is the audience going to learn about you through this art?
Let’s look at Additional Artists (Assignment HERE) and their imagery in the beginning of the hour. Who is your artist that you are researching? What is it about their work that drew you in?
3 things to incorporate into the final painting and techniques…
What challenges do you see the process of going FROM collage TO the painting? Give yourself 3 ideas that you may have to overcome.
Introduction to Digital Art: Modernist DUE DATE is coming up soon
7.1Ac: Recognize and describe personal aesthetic and empathetic responses to the natural world and constructed environments.
Paul Rand Article HERE
Logo Designs I Love Site HERE
What is individual about your logo that others will be able to look at and EASILY identify that as a logo for someone extraordinary – you?
- Demo of LETTERING
- Positive / Negative
- Exclude tools.
How do you feel about the final design of your image? What is successful? What would you do differently? Will it fit on the side of a pen? Will it fit on the side of a blimp? Is it SCALABLE?
Font Homework (and in Google Classroom) HERE.